Misguided Grammarians


        Bear with me here...

I am not proud that I have always been a card-carrying member of the word police. I cringe when I read a text from someone saying they were “to” tired to go for a walk, that “John gave cookies to my friend and I,” that “there” friends don’t care about the news “there” listening to. Even in casual correspondence, I have to hold myself back from wielding a red pen and crossing out misused words, adding letters to misspelled ones. Trying to subtly demonstrate, I have been known to write back, for instance, “I’m sorry you were too tired to go to the bookstore talk. You can watch their recording online...” 

I was almost shaking one day after a friend wrote “I and my friend went to the beach on Saturday.” My hand hovered over the keyboard, wanting to reply, trying not to, valuing the friendship while wondering how I managed to become friends with a person who would write this. I knew why – this was a friend I met when I was nine, not a friend I’d made as an adult. I am not proud of this realization.

Thinking this, I felt like a word snob, or worse, a word bully forcing her agenda onto others, though this is something I come by naturally. My mother was a word snob from childhood, correcting friends’ spelling and pronunciation errors, full of pride at being the best speller in her class. In a grade school spelling bee, squaring off with one last student, her word was “division.” Without taking a breath, she blurted, “Division: d-i-v-i-s-o-n,” followed by her audible wide-eyed gasp as she realized she had left out, in her reckless, overly-confident rush, the third “i.” She knew, as most of us do, that it is against the rules to correct oneself in a spelling bee. I heard this story as many times as I shared my horrible childhood memory of assigning two syllables to the word “tongue,” pronouncing it “tong-goo.” I had been out sick the day my class learned the word, and was humiliated at being corrected. This was the only mistake I recall making in grade school. 

Word misuse, like these stories, can make for fun discussions between like-minded pals, but friends and strangers who use the wrong words and don’t care “to much about there problem” (which probably happened over time, and not "all the sudden"), don’t appreciate being corrected. They blame my working in an elite university for nearly forty years, while reminding me of my humble Waltham roots. (Some old Waltham friends are also word snobs.) In fact, most of the women in my writing group have similar reactions to incorrect spellings and word usage. We can’t help ourselves.

While having a good chat with myself, I remembered the flicker of a discussion I’d had with Noam two decades before, and wrote him to check it out. Since I’d just had a conversation with a writing friend about word order, I threw in another question. 

I wrote:

     I was telling a friend yesterday about Gene Searchinger's Language Series, and the fact that a child knows instinctively to say, for instance, "red ball," and not "ball red." But she threw me a curve ball: what about in French, where the syntax switches to "balle rouge?" Does the child instinctively say it correctly in French because of the rules it has picked up and applied even at two? I'm probably not explaining this well, as I'm obviously not a linguist... 

     Also, I recall you telling me why "my friend and me [went to the park]” is not incorrect, since it's the way a child might naturally say it. Am I remembering that correctly? 

Noam replied:

    Children know instinctively that they can construct the unit {red, ball} (a set, with no order).  But whether it’s “ball red” (as in most languages) or “red ball” (as in English) is a choice determined by experience, a parameter in technical terms.  Same with “read books” (English) or “books read” (Japanese).  There’s by now a large and important literature on how parameters are set by the child, quickly and with very little evidence.

     What children naturally say is “me and my friend were here.” That’s because they are speaking English properly and ignoring Victorian social conventions.  Misguided grammarians tried to force children to speak a Latinate form of English that they invented, and to impose the social conventions, so you’re supposed to say “my friend and I were here” in a language that does not exist and with social conventions that you do not follow naturally.  Causes endless confusion.  That’s why you hear people say things like “between you and I,” overgeneralizing the error of misguided grammarians. A lot of it traces back to Bishop Lowth, 18th century prescriptive grammarian.

**

        This was not the first time I was left with more questions than answers as I rode the endless train of lessons at the feet of Noam Chomsky. I did some research. The first article I found mentioning Lowth was in a May 6, 2016 issue of the journal The Conversation. The title: Grammar police belong in the 18th century – let’s not inflict their rules on today’s children. 

I wonder how that’s working out? I could ask Noam more about Lowth, but maybe better to ask my grammar school neighbor. She’s less likely to send me away with homework. 

 


Comments

  1. As a stubborn grammarian (ha!), I thoroughly enjoyed this latest entry. Although I do remember being sad after losing a fourth grade spelling bee, insisting that "handkerchief" was spelled "hangkerchief". I wouldn't believe the teacher until I looked it up in the dictionary. Still, I was suspicious. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Me and…,” seems to have become acceptable. I heard a local newscaster say that recently. I almost threw my shoe at the TV! I tell myself that language evolves and that sometimes the rules change, but I’ll always be a grammar cop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A sneaker would be safer, trust me 😊

      Delete
  3. I edit (in my mind only) every document that comes from our corporate offices. Can't help myself. Thank god I am not at that office or I would be compelled to tell them to their faces.. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m a member of your club 😆

      Delete
  4. Patti LeBlanc-GedneyMay 27, 2022 at 3:27 PM

    So happy I'm not the only one that gets bothered by incorrect grammar! I've been known to correct grammar in books I'm reading. I'm still looking for a way to correct spelling and grammar on my Kindle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny - let’s have that OE reunion!

      Delete
  5. I hope the return to blogging means a return to form. Looking forward to more entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved seeing you last week, Tim. Me and you should do it again, soon. 😆

      Delete
  6. Well, you caught me with this blog. I was a dedicated lover of all things to do with the English language, and grammar since the 3rd grade.
    I have been known to correct my friends on Facebook when they say, "I got it." I shudder when I hear that statement and I have flashbacks to 4th grade English Class. I flashback to hearing my teacher have a full fledged RANT about the word GOT and how it didn't belong in our language and writing! She was VEHEMENT about it!
    It was a very, very, long time before I stopped correcting people, sometimes complete strangers, about "GOT" not belonging in the dictionary!!
    I might add the following to my fellow "Ranters". I write letters, emails, poems, and statements. I write fast. I actually type faster than my brain thinks, sounds odd I know but it is the only excuse that I can offer for my frequent misspellings, and incorrect use of Grammer. and I pray that spellchecker will keep up with me! So, to those of you who cringe, as I do, when you read my stories and posts that have included these lovely teeth grinders:
    She received it and then reed it.
    When I drop word into it.
    Or my all-time favorite:
    I killed him so then I yelled at him. Yup misspellings and all.
    I love you Bev, thanks for giving me a place to rant to fellow "Word Police".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sooo worried that my soon-to-be-published book will have multiple spelling errors! It’s more difficult to get things perfect than one (or two) might think

      Delete
    2. I understand! But only now, after a bazillion editorial eyes have looked at my book, and STILL I find typos, missing words, words that should be changed. I get it :-)

      Delete
  7. I will always remember in grade school being so confident about my turn at spelling a word. Standing in a line of children, feeling above them in aptitude, and, of course misspelling 'hospital', to my eternal embarrassment...

    The few writing rules I keep in the background are all variations on 'be honest'; write what you know, omit needless words, and, it is the tale not he who tells it.

    But reading, both fiction and non-fiction, and its endless combinations, is the other great key to hold on to. You could say grammar is the keyring. Don't let it get rusty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My own pet peeve is when people use an adjective instead of an adverb... Apple Computer's 'Think Different' slogan drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - mostly because many people - well, more than we would expect - don't realize this is an incorrect usage of the word...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts